Cold Orzo Salad with Roasted Vegetables
Additional information on this Recipe from Food Network Canada
A pasta salad is perfect to serve at the cottage or bring along to a potluck dinner or picnic. This one is not mayonnaise based so it’s a great make-ahead salad with loads of flavour.
- 1/2 cup orzo ((125 ml)
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons to 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (30 ml to 45 ml)
- juice of ½ lemon to 1 lemon
- zest of ½ lemon
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (30 ml)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (30 ml)
- 1 to 2 tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese (15 to 30 ml)
- Coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium pot, bring about 4 cups of water to a rolling boil. Generously salt water. Add orzo and stir. Cook orzo until al dente (firm to the bite), about 4 to 6 minutes. Drain pasta and rinse with cold water. Let orzo sit in colander to drain. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, toss the zucchini and red pepper with 1 tbsp. olive oil in a medium bowl. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper. Spread evenly onto a baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned, about 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside and let cool to room temperature.
- To make the dressing: add lemon juice and zest, garlic, parsley, basil and remaining 1 tbsp. of olive oil to a large bowl. Stir well to combine. Stir in orzo, roasted vegetables and the tomatoes, green onion and Parmesan. Season salad with salt and pepper to taste. Toss to combine.