1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed, or 2 cups cooked black beans
black pepper, to taste
salt, to taste 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons finely chopped mushrooms
2 tablespoons finely chopped carrot
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion 1/2 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs (see note to make your own) 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats(not instant)
cooking spray or oil
Mash beans with fork or potato masher, leaving some texture. Mix all ingredients with your hands. It will be very thick. Form into 6 patties.
Lightly spray a frying pan with cooking spray, or wipe with oil. Brown patties on both sides.
• To make bread crumbs, process whole-wheat bread in food processor or blender briefly.
• You can substitute any beans for variation in taste and texture.
• You can leave out the chopped veggies, or add other finely chopped
veggies, such as bell pepper, zucchini, and celery.
• Feel free to play with different seasonings. You can taste the
mixture before cooking and adjust seasonings.
• This mixture will hold together well enough to grill on a barbeque.
Fat: 1 g
Saturated Fat: 0.2 g
Calories from Fat: 7.4%
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Protein: 6 g
Carbohydrates: 20 g
Sugar: 0.8 g
Fiber: 6.4 g
Sodium: 259 mg
Calcium: 46 mg
Iron: 1.8 mg
Vitamin C: 1.1 mg
Beta Carotene: 205 mcg
Vitamin E: 0.1 mg
Source: The Cancer Project cooking instructor, Delisa Renideo