Smoky Sweet Potato Burgers
I love a good bean burger, but sweet potato burgers are in a category of their own! These smoky-sweet but spicy burgers will dazzle anyone they’re served to, so if your friends tend to snub bean burgers and other meat replacements, try serving these at your party. They’re so beautiful guests can’t help to be intrigued … then wowed!
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Mash the beans with a fork or pulse in a food processor so no whole beans are left, but the mixture is still chunky with some half beans.
3. To make the sweet potatoes, I cook mine in the microwave, but you can also steam for 15 to 17 minutes. (I leave the potato skins on for added nutrition, but you can peel them off after cooking, if desired.) Then mash and mix them with the nondairy milk to make “mashed potatoes.”
4. Mix the mashed beans with 1 cup of the mashed sweet potato, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, liquid smoke, and ketchup (use 3 tablespoons for a slight tomato flavor), stirring to combine.
5. Add the rolled and instant oats and stir to combine again. Add hot sauce to taste if desired, plus a few dashes of chipotle powder (a little goes a long way!), then season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired. Taste and add more heat or smoke as desired.
6. Separate into five equal portions and roll into balls with damp hands. Place balls on baking sheet (leaving room to spread), and press lightly into patties with your palm.
7. Bake for 10 minutes (patties should be somewhat firm after 10 minutes; if not, wait a few more minutes), flip with spatula, and bake for 5 more minutes. Then flip them again and bake for another 2 to 5 minutes, until they are deep in color, crisp, and firmer, but be careful not to burn.
For more recipes and convenient meal preparation, download the Forks Over Knives Recipe App for iPhone and iPod touch.